UPDATE for 2020: Yes, I still accept letter writing requests. If you wish me to write a letter for you to help explain to the embassies why you have no ITR, please just send me a message via my Facebook page. I write an explanation letter for no ITR for South Korea, Japan, USA, Schengen visas, and other visas that require you to show an ITR.
Processing a tourist visa for somewhere? Do you need to submit an Income Tax Return or ITR but you don’t have one? Write an explanation letter. Here’s how.
I have been getting queries about writing an explanation letter for having no Income Tax Return (ITR) when applying for a tourist visa. In the spirit of giving, I decided to publicize this letter of explanation I wrote for a friend for your reference. She asked me for help explaining to the Japanese Embassy why she still deserved a tourist visa even if she had no ITR or Income Tax Return seeing as she was a new freelancer. Find below all of my tips and sample.
Sharing with You
I did not think at first to share this. But in the space of two months, I’ve had 5 of my friends asking for how I did it. I sent them the sample and I thought I’d publish it here too. Hopefully, it can assist anyone needing help out there.
By the way, since I am now a freelancer as well, I had to explain myself to the embassy too when I applied for my second Japan Tourist Visa. I actually had an ITR from 2016 so I brought that but I got advised that since my employer is not the same one on the ITR, I should just not submit one and just explain why. I wasn’t prepared for that so I had to submit a handwritten letter, which I wrote right there at the travel agency. So yeah I do not have a copy of that. That’s why I’m just sharing this piece that I did for my friend.
I Can Write For You
As mentioned above, I am a freelance writer so writing is my profession. If you are busy and need help with writing this explanation letter for no ITR, then I can help.
Just message me via the Toploading for Life Facebook page. I charge PHP 350 per letter (coz I also have bills to pay so I hope you understand). Aside from that, I can also help you with the Schedule of Stay or Itinerary for Japan. And if you need help writing a Guarantee or Sponsorship letter, I can assist with that as well.
Reasons for Not Having ITR
Just to clarify guys, I am not writing this to advise everyone that we shouldn’t pay our taxes. Because as good citizens we totally should. (Here’s hoping that our politicians be upstanding and deploy our taxes properly as well.)
Anyway, there might still be instances that someone has no Income Tax Return, ITR, or Form 2316. Some of the reasons I can think of are:
- you are a new freelancer and have not worked out yet how to self-contribute for your taxes (same as me)
- you work in an industry that is somehow tax-exempted. For example, I read about this one lady working as a volunteer for a certain social cause. She obviously wasn’t making much and should have no need to pay taxes as she’s contributing most of her time for the good of society.
- you switched to a new employer recently and the employer noted on your most recent ITR (most likely last year’s) is not the same one as your current one. Submitting this will just cause confusion since your payslip details will not match.
- you’re a senior, housewife/househusband, teenager, or someone whose situation in life doesn’t involve paying taxes
- you’ve just become a business owner and have not processed your tax payments yet for one reason or another
As you can see, there are situations when an ITR is just hard to come by. But since getting a tourist visa for other countries in the Philippines often involve presenting an ITR, then you’ll just have to explain why you don’t have it.
Key Points to Cover in the Explanation Letter
Before I give you the sample letter, here are some things you need to take note of. I am detailing these because everyone’s situation is different and the sample letter is quite specific to my friend’s. So its purpose is really to be just a sample for your reference. Take note of these details below to further have an idea on how to write the explanation letter:
- Explain well and be truthful as much as possible – The idea here is that you should convince the embassy that you deserve a visa despite having no ITR. Therefore, the explanation should cover the fact that you have the finances to support your trip. Also, avoid lying because if you are caught, you might be banned. Who knows. My tip here is to present your case as truthfully but as favorably as possible.
- Include supporting documents – A bank statement with a higher balance is a great supporting document. Again, you need to convince them that you can finance your trip. I also advice submitting copies of your payslips or income streams for the last 3 months. These could be scans of actual payslips, Paypal monthly withdrawals, or confirmations of your employer depositing money to your account. Other good supporting documents are your exit tickets and paid hotel bookings. These can help further assure the embassy that you will be traveling for pleasure and not job-hunting.
- Add a bit of emotional appeal – Just a bit, folks. Don’t go too crazy on the sob story. Otherwise, that might backfire. Just a few lines about this being your dream or something. That is if indeed this is your dream to travel to that country. Again, be truthful.
- Add sentences that hint or say you are coming back to the PH – In my friend’s case, I included stuff like. “My daughter won’t be going with us during this trip, but I hope that we can return to visit your beautiful country someday in the future as I would love to show my daughter the beauty of Japan as well.” This does not right out say it but it hints that my friend is definitely coming back to the PH since she has a daughter here. The part about her planning to tour Japan again in the future is a double whammy for me – it says she’s returning to the PH and that she is good for Japan’s tourism.
- Include other countries you have traveled to – if you indeed have traveled to other countries, mention them. This shows that you are a traveler/tourist, not a job hunter. If you have not traveled to other countries yet, no worries. You can just say that your dream is to travel the world and Japan or whichever country you are traveling to is the place where you want your dreams to start coming true. 🙂
- Observe proper grammar and sentence construction – Proofread your letter. Don’t write overly long paragraphs. Order your thoughts carefully for a coherent letter. Overall, make your letter easy to read.
That’s it. I hope this general guideliness will be of help to you.
Sample Explanation Letter for Not Having an ITR
Okay, I think I’ve said enough. Find the sample letter below. Note that this was written for the purpose of getting a travel visa for Japan. Modify as you please for your own situation.
Embassy of Japan in the Philippines
2627 Roxas Boulevard, Pasay City, 1300
Hello and good day! My name is ___________ and I am requesting a tourist visa to Japan. I plan to travel to Tokyo this September with two of my friends – _______ and ______. I am really excited to see the beautiful sights of the city and experience its sounds and cuisine.
Part of the tourist visa application is to show an Income Tax Return (ITR), which unfortunately I do not possess. Hence, I am writing this letter. The reason why I do not have an ITR is because I work as a Freelance Web Developer. I work on an ad-hoc basis, obtaining clients via bidding websites for freelance work.
Rest assured, however, that my finances at the moment are enough to cover my trip expenses. I was able to set aside PHP 35,000.00 for the trip. Please see my bank certificate for reference. I believe that this amount is enough for me to thoroughly enjoy myself and see the sights we want to see within the duration of our trip.
Touring Japan has always been a dream of mine and it has been in my travel bucket list since the year 2000. And I have always wanted to see a lot of its cities, but my friends and I have decided that we will concentrate on experiencing Tokyo on this trip. For this trip, we plan to visit Disney Sea, the Gundam Statue in Odaiba, the Skytree in Tokyo, and Tokyo Disneyland. Hopefully, we can return in the years to come to see and experience more the beauty of Japan.
I have traveled to other countries last year, namely Singapore, Malaysia, and Indonesia. It is my goal to travel to at least one different country each year, either with my close friends or with my daughter. My daughter won’t be going with us during this trip, but I hope that we can return to visit your beautiful country someday in the future as I would love to show my daughter the beauty of Japan as well.
I am really hoping that you would grant my request for a tourist visa. Hoping for your kind consideration.
Your Name and Signature
There you go, folks. I hope this will be useful to you. Again, this is merely a sample and not a one-time solution to all. Having an explanation letter also doesn’t guarantee that your visa will be approved as embassies consider a lot of other factors. But, just in case you need to explain why you do not have an income tax return document, then I’m hoping this post can guide you.
If you find this post and guide helpful, please share with others who might need it too. A link back to this page or mention on social media as thanks will already go a long way and will be much appreciated. Would love to hear your feedback on the comments below, too!
And, once again, if you need help writing an explanation letter, please reach out to me via the Toploading for Life Facebook page.
By the way, if you need help with the Japan visa application form or the visa application process in general, I created this Japan visa guide for you.
Cheers and good luck with your visa applications!